Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What to do with broken crayons....Crayon Art



There is something that every family has in common. No matter how well we keep our houses up, no matter how good we think our kids play, no matter how well the toys stay organized....there are always broken crayons hiding somewhere. We all have them....ya know you do! Just like you know that it's inevitable, that at some point of your couches life, it WILL eat your change! I used to constantly pick up the broken crayons and throw them away. I used to get so mad at the kids for purposely breaking them! At one point I even stopped buying crayons. Last year, I changed my thinking. I would re-use the broken crayons. I welcomed them {secretly}. I started collecting them! I put them in a basket where the kids wouldn't see them, because I just know my kids. I would be picking them up again....and again, and probably again, if they knew where they were. I also didn't tell them what I wanted to do with them or they would ask me 20 times a day if it's time! I was able to get quite a bit together! Is this amount that I collected normal? So maybe not every family would find so many. I guess I would rather have my couch eat more change, but broken crayons is what we get!
A few weeks ago, the kids were crazy bored, and needed a project. What do you do to keep 2 kids occupied for hours? Have them take paper off of crayons!
Now that is what I am talking about! Peace and quiet! I remember sitting them on the couch and thinking that I could get so much work done. The baby was napping, the dog was napping, and the 2 of them were excited...and quiet!! Why didn't I do this sooner?? 

Notice that her eyes have found the tv! It's only minutes now until she quits! (He followed soon after). I'm pretty sure it wasn't even 15 minutes, before they were complaining of their nails hurting from ripping the paper off, and yelling at each other about whose crayons were whose. I found myself spending the next hour or so taking off the paper myself, while the kids played outside.  

The Crayola's were much harder to get off. Carefully slice the paper  longways with a razor. It will make your job SO much easier!

I thought I would never finish! More just kept appearing!

Now your ready to start making your new crayons!

Put the pile into a trash bag or you can place them in between wax paper, and using a hammer or a rolling pin make the pieces smaller.

Make sure to spray the tins with cooking spray before you put the crayons in. 




Make sure that there is no paper in the tins before you place them in the oven. I did take out the paper in the photo above, apparently just not before snapping the photo :) 
Heat the oven. I'm not sure if there is a correct temperature to set the oven to, there probably is, but I think I set it to 375. If you've done this before, let me know if I'm wrong. Heat until melted. When you check on them, you'll see chunks if they aren't ready. They will liquefy completely.

I kept them in the fridge for a couple of hours. Once they cooled, they kind of all sunk in the middle, and looked milky like. See the photo below. I got a bit worried thinking that they became a gross color. 


I banged them on the counter just to loosen them, and they slid right out. Look how pretty they are now!! Phew...it wasn't a waste of time after all!

You can obviously choose to keep all of the colors the same to make solid colors, but I love the rainbow (and I didn't want to take the extra time). I love that the crayon (dust) left speckled patters throughout!

The idea was to make these for the kids {of course}....
but once they were finished, I thought they would make great art! I kinda had to bribe them to let me have them. I only had 1 new canvas left, and it didn't seem fair to clean up and save take their crayons, make them work so hard for 15 minutes all of that time peeling the paper, to not let them keep them! So I gave them a couple canvas' that I had used for nothing special. Covered the table with a drop cloth, and let them go to town making their own art! This is what I came up with....

I painted the canvas and glued the crayons on with Tacky Glue. For obvious reasons...don't use hot glue ;) And this is what they came up with....

I think all 3 turned out great! Don't you?? It was a fun afternoon!
Pin It!
Have you recycled crayons before? Have you used them for anything other than coloring? I'd love to see! Thanks for coming by today. If you liked this post, I'd love it if you'd take a quick sec to vote below, and click the G+share!

Also, make sure to check out the coffee link up and giveaway going on now!






Sharing over at:
Live Laugh {Linky}
Fantabulous Friday

9 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Great idea! (I'm so surprised that just cooking spray will keep the crayons from sticking...good to know.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower from the blog hop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanted to stop by and say thank you for linking up for blogworking wed! I hope you met some great new bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is on my to do list and has been for sometime, I just don't have the broken crayons yet. Great post! I just found you from the Live Laugh Linky Thursday hop and wanted to say hi and I am your newest follower!

    www.adventureswithcaptaindestructo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. I am a new follower from blog working wednesday I would love a follow back at http://lefthandedideas.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did this at the preschool I worked at for years, I remember how much the kids enjoyed coloring with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love seeing crayon art. so playful and fun!
    take care!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this Jill! AMAZING as always!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad I came across your blog! This is SUCH a cute idea! Can't wait to try it! I found your blog from over at Kristine's page (Foley fam unedited) - glad I did! By the way, I read your about me section and we have a LOT in common...and you are such a beautiful mommy. And not that over 30 is old at ALL because I'm working my way, but you totally look like you're in your 20's in your welcome pic. Newest follower!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your opinions!

Total Pageviews