Sunday, August 5, 2012

Summertime with Sweet Sparrow Design

Today I'd like to welcome Tara, one of the great ladies behind Sweet Sparrow Design! Besides having an amazing shop that she runs with her mom, she has quite a full plate! Take a looksie (or readsie??).....

Summertime is a BUSY time for our household... we live on a 7-acre farmyard and my husband works full-time as well as farms (full-time too)... so the yard work and gardening keeps me hopping! 
Photobucket


Then there's the shop, Sweet Sparrow Design, that I run with my mom, and I also have a vintage Etsy shop, curious kitty Vintage ... oh, and I have an almost 2 1/2 year old boy. :) Did I mention it was busy? I also have a large vegetable garden and do lots of canning/freezing. Recently, we have been enjoying fresh potatoes, raspberries, cucumbers, peas and green beans. I have somewhat of a love/hate relationship with canning... it feels like soooo much work (and it is!), but I get such satisfaction from seeing my pantry (and freezer), fill up with of all kinds of goodies that we'll be able to enjoy throughout the next year. So far this summer, I have canned raspberry jam, pickles and bing cherry preserves, and put lots of raspberries in the freezer. Yum! I know my husband and son will love to be my taste testers. :)


Photobucket

If you've never done any canning before, something easy to start with would is jam. Here's an easy recipe I use for my Raspberry Jam.

Cooked Raspberry Jam Yield: 8 cups Ingredients:
6 cups prepared berries
4 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 box CERTO Light Pectin Crystals (or another brand) << I like the Light version because it's not so crazy sweet! 
Preparation of fruit: 
Crush berries one layer at a time. Sieve half of the pulp to remove some seeds, if desired. 
Directions:
 1. In large saucepan, stir together prepared fruit. Combine CERTO Light Pectin Crystals with 1/2 cup of the measured sugar. Add to prepared fruit. 2. Bring to a boil over high heat. 3. Add rest of sugar. 4. Return to a hard boil for 1 min. 5. Remove from heat. Stir and skim for 5 minutes to prevent floating fruit. Pour into warm sterilized jars to 1/4 inch from rim. Cover with lids and screw rings on tightly.
Photobucket
All done! See... wasn't that easy?? Enjoy! Tara

Pin It!

That looks so delicious! Thanks Tara and Diana for stopping by today and sharing!! 
Ya'll will want to stop in and check out Tara and Diana's shop Sweet Sparrow Design! They have THE cutest Ecofriendly goodies for babies, moms and home!! Here's just one of my favs....

Ok, I couldn't stop with just one....






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your opinions!

Total Pageviews