Friday, August 10, 2012

Guest Post: Living Loving Crafting...TUTORIAL!

I'm so excited to introduce you guys to Jeannie, who blogs over at Living Loving Crafting. She has a fabulous blog with some great tutorials! I was so happy when she said that she would guest post and excited to see what she would come up with! She reminds me so much of myself with the way that she love to dabble in everything. Thanks Jeannie for coming by today! I thrilled to have you!

Hi!!  I'm Jeannie from Living Loving Crafting.  I want to say a big Thank You to Jill for letting me stop by and take over for the day.  To let you know a little bit about me, I'm a stay at home mom of twin toddler boys. To say life is interesting would be an understatement, but I love it!!  I have definitely been blessed!  To ensure that I don't lose my mind in the process though, I craft.  I dabble in just about every kind of crafting you can think of, but jewelry making is my favorite.  In fact, I'm doing a giveaway on the blog this week of one of my pieces. Stop on by for an entry or I can show you how to make it yourself.

A turquoise pearl necklace.  The thing that I love about this necklace, it's simple, but packs a statement.  For a beginner, this is a great necklace to start with.  You can choose any bead in any size you like.  

Here are your supplies:  
  •                                      You need round pliers
  •                                      Wire cutters  (raid your husband's tool box if you don't have jewelry tools)
  •                                      Your choice of beads.  I used nine.                                    
  •                                      Chain
  •                                      Head pins for each bead
  •                                      A lobster clasp
  •                                      1 jump ring
  •                                      1 small pearl/bead


If you are unsure of any of these items, email me or browse the jewelry supply wall at your local craft store.  You might even find a clasp you like better than the lobster clasp. 

1.  Measure the length you'd like your chain and remove excess

2. Add bead to headpin and make sure the headpin doesn't pull through the end of the bead.  Sometimes headpins are different sizes and the pin will pull right through the bead.

3.  Cut your headpin down to about 3/4-1in.  You just want enough left over to manipulate around your chain. 
4. Use your round pliers and bend your headpin into a half circle.  You need to leave the space big enough to add your chain.

5. Find the middle of your chain.  Place the chain link in the headpin and close up the circle.  

6. Alternate adding beads on either side of the middle bead.  You want to have the same number of beads on either side of the middle and alternating will help you keep track. 

7. Open up the last link on one end of your chain using your pliers and add the lobster clasp.  Close link up.

***Since my necklace is for a giveaway and I didn't know the neckline of the person wearing it, I made my necklace adjustable.  

8. Measure 2-3 in of a smaller chain and cut off excess.  This will make it adjustable.  
(I didn't take a picture of this but I also added a small turquoise pearl to one end)

9.  Open up the jump ring.  Add the smaller chain to the jump ring.  Before closing the jump ring, add it to the end of your necklace.  Close jump ring. 

10. Wear that baby proudly!!

So there it is.  Simple enough to wear with a pair of jeans and elegant enough to wear with a dress.  I hope you had fun making it!  Stop on by and visit for other tutorials!  Thanks again, Jill!!
Pin It!

I love that necklace Jeannie! Thanks for sharing the tutorial! I'm heading over now to enter to win...and YOU ALL SHOULD TOO!! Jeannie's blog is still pretty new, and I know that she will have no trouble! Make sure to head over and say hello. Jeannie is a sweetheart and worth getting to know! And if you haven't link up to the Coffee Link Up and Giveaway....make sure you do!

P.S. Since we are on the topic of jewelry making, I am so proud to announce that my new jewelry line Speak Out Loud is on it's way!! I've been stamping away and the big launch will be in just a few weeks! So please stick around for the details! I'll post all about it this weekend!!






3 comments:

  1. New Follower! Love your blog!
    Misty @ http://monkeysandtutus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new follower and love the color pearls you choose. It's such a cute casual necklace. I need to make one.

    Kimberly @ mypinterestreality.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I love tutorials!! This is co cute! Found you from the Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your opinions!

Total Pageviews