Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover and a Quick Bedroom Improvement

Share it Please
Happy New Year!
 I've learned so much this past year, and I am so thankful to all of you bloggers for opening up a whole new avenue in my life. I have always had the passion for all things diy, but never knew all of the things I was capable of, until I "met" all of you! I get so much inspiration from all of your blogs and link parties! I've learned that a passion COULD be more than just a passion. I give thanks to God, thanks to my family, and thanks to....BLOGGERS, for the things in my life!

One of the big projects was our kitchen cabinet makeover:

 I love all of the natural light, but the cabinets needed to be brighten up! 

They needed a little update and some hardware....
So, I think we had been here 3 days before I was ready to start (maybe 2 days)
I thought that it would be a quick process prime/ paint/  put back together. WRONG!
After what seemed like hours of scrubbing, I began priming. The only primer I had was latex and while I was painting, it seemed to be going on great. I did 2 coats and waited till the next day to paint. Then I saw it.....all the yuck was coming through the primer, UGH!!
I decided I was going to have to use oil base primer, gross stuff I have to say. I used 2 or 3 coats of paint and while all was drying I decided I couldn't put up the newly painted, clean cabinets with hinges that had "build-up" of some all sorts on it. I cleaned them with some really great cleaner, too good! The hardware that was dark (how I wanted it to be) was now light brass, but clean. So off to the store to get some spray paint. I used Rustoleum Metallic Antique Rubbed Bronze. They looked great!
Picked out the hardware and realized I couldn't find my drill through the move, was it ever going to end?? So mom came over the following week and fixed me up, she even put them on for me!
Sorry for the lack of all my troubles during pictures, but here is the after:

again before and after:

Another one of the things that was hard for me to decorate around was the mauve-red carpet. I couldn't do anything about that, but the matching border was definitely something I had to change before we even moved our stuff in.

I removed the border and painted with Behr Premium Plus Gentle Rain. One coat and a huge difference!

The bedroom still isn't decorated, but one room at a time I guess.
Thanks for stopping by!!

Linking up to:


  1. Your kitchen looks so much brighter and cheerier now. My husband and I just started tackling our kitchen...and it's turning out to be a lot harder than I thought, too!

  2. Your kitchen makeover is great! Hi, I'm Suzanne at WhyCuzICan, and I'm your newest Follower :)

    Can't recall how I got here, but I think it was a comment on someone elses blog, or maybe it was a linky party. I have visited like a half dozen pages or so of your blog (including the one about the one year anniversary of your daughter's complicated birth story), and BLAM, I decided "I HAVE to Follow this blog- she rocks", so, here I am.

    Smiles from snowy NW Illinois today,


I love to hear your opinions!

Total Pageviews