Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Thonet Bentwood Chairs with Chevron Seats


Happy New Year! I hope you are all staying warm. Here in St. Louis we have had below zero temps and quite the snow fall! The kids winter break has been extended and we have had to make an unplanned trip to Indiana because my mother-in-law fell and broke her wrist. It was great to see her though, and even better to spent New Years day with her and my sister-in-law.

I've been trying to keep as busy as possible with 3 kids home. One project (or two) that I was able to get finished, are these cute little chairs that I found on the side of the road downtown a few weeks back.


My first thought was to paint them because I recently picked up some new colors of Milk Paint that I was excited to try. But the back of the chairs had such deep scratches in them, I decided that they needed to be stripped down and refinished first. I re-stained (only the backs) using Minwax Gel Stain in Brazilian Rosewood, and my vision changed. I didn't want to cover the beautiful wood finish any longer with paint. I cleaned up the rest of the chairs really well using ammonia and water and added a few coats of a high gloss clear acrylic. I recovered the seats in a yellow and white chevron fabric and here are the newest addition to the shop.








Thanks for stopping by!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your opinions!

Total Pageviews