Wednesday, October 3, 2012

DIY Feathered Halloween Wreath


I've been seeing so many beautiful feathered wreaths in the stores, and although they are so tempting to buy, I have such a hard time knowing I could make one. While I was at a garage sale last week, I found adult feathered angel wings for 25¢! It was in great shape and I knew that it would be perfect for the wreath. I didn't take pictures of the process, but just imagine....me in bed, white comforter, black feathers, and black down feathers clinging for dear life to the bed. Quite a mess. Then using a dollar store wreath, I began hot gluing the feathers going in the same direction until the wreath was fully covered. I had set aside the soft, down feathers, knowing that I wanted to use those on top. Once those were glued on, the wreath was finished, now it was time to embellish. When I bought the wreath, I also picked up this bag of gourds.


I wanted them to go along with the elegance of the black feathers. So using wire, I stuck one end into the gourds, and the other end of the wire into an empty box of diapers. I spray painted them with metallic silver spray paint, and gave them an hour or so to dry. 
I wanted them to have some dimension  and look old, so I mixed black acrylic paint with a little water, and painted them, making sure to get into the crevices. I let the black paint dry for only about a minute and wiped the black paint off. I used a coffee filter, but you can use a paper towel. I let them dry overnight (because it was already 1 am) and simply hot glued them onto the wreath!
It's not perfect, but it cost $2.25 and I think it looks great for halloween! What do you think??


Pin It!


3 comments:

  1. Very creative Jill! I like the idea of recycling the feathers and keeping the project low-budget. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill, love the wreath. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your opinions!

Total Pageviews