Wednesday, November 23, 2011

An old stool + Graphics Fairy = SMILES

Last weekend when I was at my brothers house finishing the dining room set, a neighbor was having an estate sale. I must have driven past it 3 times before I couldn't resist. There wasn't much but I picked up an old TV cabinet ( I'll be getting around to that soon) and this old wood stool on caster wheel (of course I forgot to take a before pic, but it's not a hard one to imagine). I got them both for 5 bucks! Apparently I was the only one that found this little stool appealing (I showed up at the end of the day).
I headed over to the Graphic's Fairy blog and went through her amazing graphics till I came across this one


then I went to the website BlockPosters.com that she mentions on one of her posts. It is free and it will resize your graphic to any size easily. The technique that I used is from that tutorial as well. 
I decided not to use the wheat part of the picture since I had limited space, but I love how it turned out!





After I was finished painting on the graphic, I painted parts in blue and sanded and sanded some more to remove most of the blue. I wanted to make sure that it still looked old. 
I have a confession, which I am really only admitting to because my mistake can save you A LOT of time!! I didn't wait till the black paint was 100% dry and when I distressed it, the wood became a black mess, Duh!! It looked aweful! So I sanded it down and started over :-( A days work, wasted. So lesson, wait till paint is completely dry before distressing! The second time, I waited overnight. So after distressing again 
I used Minwax wipe on Poly to protect it. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how it turned out! I would love to hear what you think!



Linking up at:







6 comments:

  1. Hi Jill....Your stool looks awesome! I just did a stool this past week too! How coincidental! With a Graphics Fairy image! Great job and I love that you make mistakes...like me! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jill - I just love your foot stool! Furniture with graphics like that always attract me like a magnet. Your work is wonderful. And listen: most of the time there arise lovely things out of mistakes :-) Regards from Austria, Nik

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you did with this stool, it's stunning! I'm now a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so cool! Love how you only kept the wording from the graphic for this! It looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That stool is fabulous...Love it. I don't think I could bear to sell it. So nice. I am now a follower of your blog and look forward to return visits. I invite you to join me as well on my blog at http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com
    Hugs, Gayle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this stool! The graphic is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your opinions!

Total Pageviews