Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My new friend Blue and how I used newspaper to transfer an image...

Meet my new friend Blue, Louis Blue




I got this desk for free (love that price!) a few months back and it's been collecting dust in the garage since then. I decided that it's time for it's makeover!

So using Louis Blue, I got to work:

I actually didn't know my son decided to take a picture! I never have
pictures of me at work haha!

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the drawers as far as what color to paint them. I love 2-toned pieces, but I thought I should sleep on it. So it sat like this for the day.


I don't think that it's the wood that bothers me, because I really love a mixture of natural wood and painted, but I couldn't get past the big hardware.
So I filled the holes and decided that I would put glass knobs on the drawers for a more updated look. I haven't bought them yet...so hopefully it looks good!
I also knew that I wanted to paint something on the top, so I spent some time looking for inspiration. When I realized that my computer ran out of ink....had to pick something that I already had printed.
So this is what I chose:

You can find this at Graphics Fairy

I wish I had waited till I had ink so I could have made it to the
size of the desk top





I used the newspaper transfer technique and it was super easy. Just put tape the newspaper to the surface, tape the graphic to the newspaper, and trace! I then hand painted it with black and distressed it. Worked great! I waxed the desk, but used Wipe On Poly on the top and on the drawers.
So here is what I have for now....would love to hear what you think!!

BEFORE

AFTER
If your not already a follower, I would love for you to follow :-)

10 comments:

  1. You did an awesome job on the desk. I'm glad you made the whole thing blue. Thanks so much for sharing at DIYbyDesign Winter Blues Wednesday party. I am now your latest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Judy :-) I am too! The other option was white drawers but I'm super glad I kept with blue! Thanks for the follow!

      Delete
  2. Stopping by from WOW! Love the desk in blue. I have a desk like that and I am having trouble finding drawer handles that I can afford because they are 4" apart! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super looking piece! Love the color choice as well,Im now following you:) stop over and chat sometime and follow me too!Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Newspaper technique? How cool is that??? I've never heard of that before, but will be trying it out for sure! :) Your table turned out just beautiful. That color is amazing!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty.. I personally am having a hard time with Louis Blue looking too baby like.. Argh! Not sure why... Would love for you to come check out my VERY new blog! - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got an email from you that contained something very distructive...malware, a virus or something. My computer security went NUTS! All it was was a link. When I clicked on the link. WOW. Just thought you would like to know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. The glass knobs will be a perfect match. I've also never heard of the newspaper technique until now but I like it already :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That color is gorgeous! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this little gem so so much! Fantastic job!!! It's the perfect color of blue!!! Ahhh! I could hug the desk and all of its shabby-chicness!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your opinions!

Total Pageviews